I recently applied for a CDC Replacement. The process goes smoothly if there are no issues with your application. However, if there are any problems, it can become confusing because the DG Shipping does not provide clear instructions. This lack of guidance leads to unnecessary delays.
Read: Here I have explained the procedure for CDC Replacement in a Step-by-Step guide.
- 20 March 2023: Applied for CDC Replacement
- 11 April 2023: After 20 Days, Status changed to Name not matching in CDC and Passport. Need to Make a Gazette Notification.
- 29 April 2023: After 18 days, I submitted all the documents as instructed by shipping office.
- 08 May 2023: Waited for more 8 days and when no response from the Shipping Office, I went to MMD Mumbai for SID and Clarification.
- This is when I came to know SID is compulsory for any documentation now.
- Now the important part: Theirs no instruction or procedure mentioning that we need to upload the Gazette Notification along with the CDC replacement application form and this is another reason for delay.
- 17 May 2023: After completing all the procedures now, after 9 Days my application got approved.
- 19 May 2023: CDC Dispatched
- 22 May 2023: Received msg from Speed post of dispatch.
- 25 May 2023: Received CDC in hand.
So, almost 2 months passed, and I haven’t got my CDC. Hope will receive it soon.
Let’s take all of the queries now.
Basic General Query for Renewal, Replacement and Duplicate CDC:
- “UNDER PROGRESS” – After submitting the application, it will be displayed as “Under Progress” for approximately 20 days, with a variation of around 5 days.
- “APPLICATION APPROVED” – If there are no problems with the application, the status will be updated to “Approved.”
- “DISPATCH” – Average 10 days after approval your CDC Sticker / Booklet will be dispatch.
- You can expect to receive your document within one week after it has been dispatched.
- “QUERY BACK TO APPLICATION” – If there is a problem with your application, you will receive this message in response.
Is SID required for CDC Renewal, Replacement or Duplicate CDC Application?
As per DG Circular 11 of 2023 (Dated 18 Apr 2023), SID is mandatory for CDC Renewal, Replacement or Duplicate Application.
"Whereas, the Directorate issued DGS Crew Circular No.23 of 2022 dated 02.12.2022 regarding Issuance of Seafarer's Identity Documents (SID) to Indian Seafarers mandating for availing various services offered by Directorate (viz. Issuance of Renewal / Replacement / Duplicate CDCs, Issuance / Revalidation of all CoCs & CoPs, Admission to all Competency, Simulator & Modular Courses except BST, STSDSD), the seafarer should be in possession of BSID. The said circular came into effect w.e.f. 01.04.2023."
Download DG Circular 11 of 2023
How to Apply for SID if your CDC is with the Shipping Office?
You can still make an appointment to obtain your SID (Seafarer’s Identification Document), even if you don’t have your CDC (Continuous Discharge Certificate) with you.
- Book an Appointment for SID Biometrics.
- When you go to the MMD/Shipping Office for the biometric process, they will temporarily give you your CDC so that you can complete the SID biometric procedure.
- It’s a good idea to have a copy of the CDC Application form with you, just in case they ask for it.
- Once the biometric process is finished, they will take back your CDC.
- This is the exact procedure I followed for my CDC Replacement and SID biometric.
How Many Days It Take for CDC Replacement / Renewal / Duplicate CDC Application to Process.
If everything goes well, you can expect to receive your CDC (Continuous Discharge Certificate) within 1-2 months. However, if there are any issues with the application, the timeline may change significantly.
In my post about the Wake-Up call for DG Shipping, I have described how my application was delayed and the amount of time it took for them to approve it.
If you want your application to be processed smoothly and without any delays, ensure that all your documents and application are in order. Take care to address any potential issues that could hinder the approval of your application.
Despite having a SID, my application put on hold because I haven’t been issued a BSID?
Many seafarers are getting “Query Back to Seafarer” with Remark:
“Seafarer is not issued BSID. Hence, Application held in terms of DGS crew Circular 23 of 2022 for Procession of Application, Revert Post Obtaining BSID vide e-mail to email@example.com”.
Scan your BSID and send them an email with attachment as stated below.
This is just a basic format, if you are confused on what to write:
Subject: I Have BSID, Still Application on Hold – Remark: Seafarer Not Issued BSID.
I have received a remark stating that my CDC application is on hold because I have not been issued a BSID, as per DGS crew Circular 23 of 2022. However, I already have a valid BSID card.
Please review my application again and provide clarification. I have attached a copy of my BSID card for reference. Kindly guide me on the correct course of action in this situation. If any additional documents or information are needed, please let me know.
I request your prompt attention to resolve this matter and process my CDC application without further delay.
Thank you for your assistance.
Seafarers BSID Query:
Query 1. Can I apply for SID if the address in my Passport and CDC are not the same?
Ans: First of all, there is no problem if your address is not the same in your CDC and Passport. However, there are a few things you need to think about before applying for SID.
- Did you update your present address in your Seafarers Profile? If you did, there’s no need to worry because your SID will be sent to the address you provided in your DG Shipping seafarers profile.